Thursday, December 11, 2014

Jane Close Conoley: "All Light Skinned People Are Automatically Racist"

by JASmius



We've been hearing a lot of that racist garbage of late.  The difference this time is, the source is actually white:

In a December 5th op-ed, the president of California State University (CSU) claimed if you are “light skinned” you have “significant unearned privilege” and routinely think less of those who are different than yourself.

Well, Jane, I gotta say that everything I've ever gotten has been more than earned, and I am now slowly but steadily losing all of it - a state of affairs that is at rather gaping odds with this "privilege" you seem to believe my skin color affords me.  Where is the lucrative job this "privilege" should be fetching for me?  Why did I lose the last one?  If I'm so "privileged," and all.

Funny thing is, the only "privileged" white person in this equation is.....you.

In her piece, “Privilege at The Beach,”—referencing the Long Beach area where the school resides—Jane Close Conoley, a white woman herself, asserts that “light skin color and high income levels may attract significant unearned privilege.” Those who qualify for such privilege, often unknowingly exert distrust and “lower expectations of behavior” on those of another skin color. 

So if I qualified for that "privilege" - which I sure as shinola don't have - I would "unknowingly exert distrust and lower expectations of behavior" toward minorities?  But wouldn't you accuse me, as a conservative, of such "unconscious biases" anyway?  So where is my "privilege," Jane?  Did it get lost in the mail?

“This privilege can manifest itself in numerous ways that afford automatic trust, deference, and security,” writes Conoley, in the piece first noticed by the Pundit Press. “Those who are less affluent with darker skin or from other cultures can be targets of micro to macro aggressions, distrust, and low expectations for behavior.”

So it's not our fault that we're all "unwitting racists," because our dearth of pigmentation makes it so we can't help it?  Wow, nothing condescending about that, is there?  So is that why you're spouting this insulting nonsense, Jane?  To offset and/or atone for your own incipient "racism"?  Or at least your bias against blacks, as you seem to be proud of your hatred of whites.

Conoley claims that if a non-white person walks into a department store they may be followed by employees and their presence is often times acknowledged with “suspicion and fear.” 

If this scenario took place in the Greater St. Louis area, yeah, they probably would be.  But that's hardly the product of "significant unearned privilege".

“Those with privilege are often unaware of this discrepancy, as people treat them with respect—as all individuals should be treated,” Conoley writes. “When they enter department stores they are greeted with smiles and offers of help. When they ask questions or request additional service, they are answered cordially. On approach, they are seen as benign.”

Well, Jane, I certainly don't get much respect from anybody, so I guess my "light skin" is letting me down.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the Bruce Wayne corollary still holds:



But he's "light skinned," so what does he know?

No comments: