Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veteran's Day 2014: Welcome Home.

By Douglas V. Gibbs

As a veteran with a service connected injury, I have appreciated all of the kind words by those around me.  I remember the first time someone thanked me for my service.  I was speechless.  I didn't know how to react.

The thing is, I served during peacetime.  I served under Ronald Reagan at a time when, though there was a Cold War going on, open combat was not going on.

Don't get me wrong.  I took the oath, and I would fight if needed to.  And you can ask any United States Marine that has spent time on an amphibious vessel - Sailors are the hardest working members of the United States Military.  Constant, non-stop, never off duty.

That all said, Veterans Day, in my opinion, is primarily geared towards those that served during wartime, and my respect for those brave individuals knows no limit.  Thank you for your service, and welcome home.

Your sacrifices are appreciated.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: