Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My First, "Thank you for your service."

By Douglas V. Gibbs

I am a proud veteran of the United States Navy.  I served from 1984 to 1988, receiving an honorable discharge with a service-connected injury.  If it had been up to me, I would have made the military a career.  I loved the training, enjoyed serving aboard sea-going vessels, and as a patriot I was ready and willing to serve during wartime.

A few times the opportunity has arisen for me to assist the Temecula Vet Center at events they have put on, so I have a Vet Center shirt I proudly wear, on occasion.  One night, out to dinner at a local steak place with my wife, while I was munching on peanuts as I awaited the arrival of my salad, I was wearing that shirt, and a hat I own with a camouflage design, and the words "U.S. Navy Veteran" draped across the front of the hat.

My wife and I were sitting in a booth at the restaurant, and to my left, slightly out of my wife's line of vision behind her right peripheral zone (at about 10 o'clock from my position), a young lady kept looking at me.  She must've been no older than college age, and it looked like she was dining with her parents.  I shook it off, not sure why she kept shooting me a glance.

After dinner, as I arose to depart, the young woman got up as well, and immediately marched towards me.  She stopped only a few feet from me, and said, "Thank you for your service."

I served in the Navy at a time when nobody was uttering those words.  Vietnam was still in everyone's rear-view mirror, and the liberal progressive hippies were still making their notion that our fine servicemen were "baby killers" known to the world, or at least to those willing to listen to their dribble.  Now, just under twenty years after my discharge, I was faced with a statement I never expected to encounter.  Should I say, "You're welcome?"  Should I say, "thank you" back?  I had never thought about what I would do if such a situation was ever to grace my life.

Nothing came to mind.  I was speechless, humbled by the girl standing before me.  I allowed a slight grin to touch the right corner of my mouth, and lowered my head in a slight nod, and then pursed my lips as tears welled up in my eyes.  She smiled, nodded back, and returned to her family.

That young girl, with her simple thank you, touched me for the rest of my life.  That moment, that first "thank you for your service" remains etched in my memory in full detail.  It meant so much to me, and I thought to myself, "If that encounter meant as much to me as it did, I couldn't even imagine how important it is for our military members that served during wartime."  I am just an old Navy guy who served at a time when the war that was raging was the Cold War.  Granted, the Cold War had its warm moments, and I participated in a few of those confrontations, but for the most part, in regards to an enemy, my service was inconsequential.  Yet, that meant so much to me because I was ready, willing, and able to fight if called to do so.  It was humbling to be thanked for being willing to join the fighting if needed.  But, there are many that actually heeded that call, who participated in the charge, and put their lives on the line as the enemy took aim at them.  I can only imagine how important a simple "thank you" is to them.

Since that night when I received my first "thank you for your service," I have made it a concerted effort to do the same to every veteran I encounter.  I usually don't even mention my service, because that moment where I thank them is only about them, their sacrifice, and their decision to be willing to lay down their life for the freedom of others.

Thank you for your service.  God Bless you for your decision to welcome duty to God and Country into your life.

Thank you.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: