Sunday, August 03, 2014

Radio Host: Where's Our Representatives? Calls out Congressman Ken Calvert.

By Douglas V. Gibbs

During the Constitution Radio program on KCAA AM1050 on Saturday, August 2, 2014, I mentioned my involvement in the Murrieta protests and civil disobedience regarding illegal immigration during the final week of June, and the first couple weeks of July.  During my discussion on the radio program, I criticize Congressmen Ken Calvert and Duncan Hunter, as well as Melissa Melendez, for being missing in action during the whole string of events that led to buses being turned around, and ultimately the issue gaining national attention.

I also criticize Ken Calvert, and his staff, for cowardice in the face of criticism, and dare Ken Calvert to call into my radio program to discuss his lack of action until after the Murrieta protests gained national attention and momentum.  Once a month I have been meeting with Congressman Calvert's staff with a few other gentlemen for the purpose of holding dialogue with his office so that we can communicate to Calvert our concerns, the issues that we find to be important, and how we feel about his handling of these issues.  The meetings have always been informative, and in my opinion a rousing success.  However, I wrote an article criticizing Calvert, Hunter, and state representation, for failing to be involved with the Murrieta protests, or at least giving us a hint that they were standing in unison with their constituents.  As a result of that article, I am being told, the meeting with Calvert's staff on July 30th was cancelled.

Here's what I had to say on the radio about it. . .

DOUG: Murrieta-Temecula Republican Assembly had their monthly meeting last night and the, uh, speaker was supposed to be Congressman Paul Cook.  He was unable to be there because he was stuck in Washington DC because the vote got held over.  They were still in session voting on an immigration bill... This bill was held over and it got passed.  Before we get to that story, here is what I want to say on the surface; and I want Alex's thoughts on this.  What the bill does is it works on the symptoms.  In other words, it tries to fix that 2008 law, tries to fast track the non-contiguous States illegal immigrants so that they go through a 48 hour processing like the Mexican immigrants do, rather than the 72 hour and can't get a hearing in time, so get released into the wild, and told to come back and they don't, and all this other stuff.  So that's what they're trying to take care of.  None of that matters if we don't secure the border.  We've got a boat filling up with water really fast, because there's a hole in the bottom of the boat, we've got a bunch of politicians spooning out the water, with spoons - tea spoons, at that.  And then when the gov - And then when the President came along and says, "What's the problem," we say, "the problem is that there's too much water comin' in," and he says, "Well, I'll take care of it," and he pulls out a shot gun and he blasts two more holes in the bottom of the boat.  And as JASmius said earlier on ADR, "you know, to help drain the water out."

That's the problem.  Our problem is this wide open hole we have at the border.  Our problem is that we haven't secured the border.  And it's not just an immigration issue.  It's not just - you know, because we are trying to be discriminatory or racist or whatever - this is to protect the receiving population.  The immigration laws are on the books for a reason.  They are there for health screening purposes, for criminal screening purposes, we've got ISIS out there in the Middle East going through Iraq and getting ready to hit Jordan, next.  This is a terrorist organization that even makes al-Qaeda nervous.  And they, have, they said last February they are looking forward to a direct confrontation with the United States.  We've got an Ebola outbreak in West Africa.  And we've got a wide open border.

ALEX: With TB down below the border.

DOUG: Right.  So, so, while our politicians are jockeying for position to try to look like they're trying to do something, they are doing nothing.

ALEX: What we have here is passive resistance.  It's, it's a classic example.  You see it as a teacher.  You have people who are not going to stand up to you directly.  What they're going to do is they are going to drag their feet and they are going to hee and haw and they're gonna allow the situation become as bad as it possibly can.  As far as I'm concerned, things are going exactly as Barack Obama had planned, and as he wants.

DOUG: Now, uh, I wanna add something else to this, also.  It's funny you bring up Barack Obama, because one of the criticisms I get from a number of listeners is all I do is criticize the democrats.  All I do is criticize Obama.  And that's not - that's just not true.  I haven't taken an oath to the Republican Party, I'm not, ah, you know, I don't think that all things Republican are necessarily good.  However, of the two parties, I do believe that's the least dangerous of the two.  I think three-quarters of the politicians in the Republican Party are no better than the Democrats in many ways, and if they are, it's not by much.  So, I focus on the quarter that I agree with.  Now, that said, I believe the Republican Party is the best way for us to turn this around.  I believe it's the vehicle available for us to use.  Therefore, we need to clean house a little bit, we need ta, and we need to get that, get that party back on its platform.  Now, that all said, that goes back to what I was saying earlier.  Is, I don't just sit around criticizin' the other party.  I'll give you an example.

About three weeks ago I wrote an article, uh, that criticized, by name, Ken Calvert, Republican 42nd District, uh, Congressman, and the Congressman for the district just south of, uh, that is, uh, Duncan Hunter, I criticized them directly for being absent during the Murrieta protests.  I also criticized, not by name, but by position, uh, the State representation, assembly and State senate.  I basically asked with this article, "Where were you?  Where have you been?  Why haven't we heard from you?"  I, I said of Duncan Hunter that, that Duncan Hunter is not his father.  His father was very strong on the immigration issue, Duncan Hunter Jr. isn't.  He basically waits to see what the political winds will say before he makes a decision.  Ken Calvert does the same.

Now, when I wrote that article askin', "Where have you been?", the day after an article by Ken Calvert appeared in the Press Enterprise.  And the day after, Melissa Melendez, representative for California State Assembly for that area, got a hold of me and said, "Hey, how come you're calling me out?"

I wasn't calling you out, I was pointing out that you guys have been absent.  You're missing in action during, during the time that we were out in the dust, in the dirt, in the sun, acting as patriots, you were no where to be seen.  Now, she told me, um, that she had statements in our support.  It sure as heck didn't show up in the media, and you sure as heck didn't tell me.  None of us had heard from any of you.  None of us.

Hannity knew I was out there.  Fox and Friends knew I was out there.  One America News's Rick Amato knew I was out there.  How is it that you didn't?

Now, that said, ah, she, ah, told me "well look it up" and, and told me to Google it, because she wouldn't send me a link for whatever reason, so I Googled it, and yeah, she had a statement after the fact, just like Ken Calvert.

They waited to see if there was, what, what was going to happen.  The moment the country rallied behind Murrieta, suddenly they had something to say.   Before the country rallied behind Murrieta,
they had nothing to say.

Now, I meet monthly with other people, with Ken Calvert's staff.  And I'm being told that a part of the reason this recent meeting was cancelled was because of my article.

Now, Representative Ken Calvert, I invite you to come on this radio program, you can call now, or you can contact me, douglasvgibbs at reagan.com.  We'll get you on the program, so that you can say what you need to say about this.  Hey, open forum.  I, I want you here.  Where were you?  How do you feel about this issue?  I know that you, I know that you, uh, sponsored a bill, that, once again, would take care of the symptoms, but not the problem.  I saw that, and, and, and it's a pretty good bill.  But, once again, it addresses the symptoms, not the problem.  I invite you, Congressman Ken Calvert, and I invite you, Assemblywoman Melissa Melendez, and I invite you, and I'll send out emails to these people, too, and I invite you, Congressman Duncan Hunter, come on the radio program, and let's talk about this.  Where were you?  Why were you not around?  What is the problem, here?  And why are you afraid of any criticism from yours truly?  Why are you running from it?  Because, you know what, if you don't have a thick enough skin to handle that, you've got no business being in politics. . .

That all said, what do you think about the cowards in office, there, Alex?

ALEX:  Bernie Goldberg wrote a book, and I don't have the exact title, but it came out to be something like, uh, crazies on my left, and wimps on my right.

DOUG: Yeah, I think that's, it was something along those lines, yeah.

ALEX: Yeah.  Now, that's what we've got.  Is the republicans are so gun shy, they've been beaten up by the, by the leftist media so often, that they are afraid to open their mouths.  Especially on, on really contentious issues.  What I am saying now is, is that this president, Obama, has gone so far in his crusade to destroy this country, that at this point, even when the media is 100% on his side, people aren't listening.  For instance, you turn on the television, and there are activists, black activists in Chicago, saying, "stop this immigration nonsense.  We don't have the money to take care of the kids that we've got.  We've got a, we've got a war zone here."  They're not, they're not coming from a war zone to a peaceful place, they're coming from a war zone to a worse war zone.
DOUG: According to polls, 82% of Americans support securing the border, and 77% of Americans support deporting the illegal aliens.  This is not, this is not an issue where we're - well, it's like when NPR, uh, interviewed me, and MSNBC asked a similar question - by the way, I was never on MSNBC.  They interviewed me, they never aired it, because they couldn't corner me.  And I don't think NPR aired on the radio their interview of me, either, because they couldn't corner me - The first question out of their mouth regarding this immigration issue in Murrieta is, "Well, when we, uh, used a search engine to look up Murrieta, the first thing that comes up is 'City of Hate,' how does that make you feel?"

And my first response was, well, you know, I-I-I mentioned those two polls, the 82% and the 77%, and I said, "That's not the opinion of the majority, that's the opinion of the well-funded. Second of all, what a great country.  They can have their opinion, I can have my opinion, no-one's being arrested and dragged off to the gulag.  What a great country this is."

Now, that said, I wanna, uh, also bring up what one of our listeners wrote on Facebook, uh, one of our listeners on Facebook, she says, and this is talking about those bills only handling the symptoms, "Of course it only works on the symptoms. Working on the symptoms is where the money is.  You can't make money if you actually solve the problem."  And then she added after that, "It's a national security issue."

And Chris nails it.  That's exactly right.  That is exactly right.

ALEX:  A country that does not control its borders is not a country - and that's what Obama is working at.  You got a guy that has put us in ta, he's doubled our national debt from, in terms of, seventeen, more than seventeen trillion dollars, at this point, which is going to drive us into financial collapse, he's reducing - right in the middle of, of, of wars all over the world, and people swearing they are going to come over to cut our throats - this guy is reducing our military to pre-World War I size, and funding, this is, this is a point, as I say, at which the media can't cover for him anymore.  If the republicans will come out and call a spade a spade, excuse that terminology, it was not intentional, if the republicans will come out and, and, and say what they mean, ah, the, the media won't be able to spin it way they've been spinning it, the people are, are, are gettin' scared.  The American people are frightened at this point, and they have every reason to be.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

When Murrieta Representation Spoke - Political Pistachio

Poll: 82% of Americans think it is important to secure the border - Illinois Review

Poll: 77% of Americans Want Illegal Immigrants Flooding Border Deported - Weasel Zippers

No comments: