Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Dark Thunderstorms

By Douglas V. Gibbs

I awakened to a lightning blast in the dark sky.

California's drought rages from receiving little rainfall during the rainy season, yet during the summer, when we are supposed to receive no rainfall, the dings of falling water dots the roof of my house. Along with the rain, a potential raging flood, dines the clash of godly power, as the thunder booms and the lightning strikes. 

The rumble led my wife to ask, "Are we having an earthquake?"

"It is only thunder," I replied, as the window lighted up with a crack of lightning over our neighbor's home. 

"God is angry," she said.

"That would be 'Mother Nature,' if you were a liberal progressive," I chimed.  "They voted God out of their party."

After six hours sleep, my stomach and back pain resembled the war in the sky, so I turned off the fan, and walked through the darkened house - that was not so dark with the momentary blasts of lightning. The bowling pins fell, the pinpricks tapped upon the tin top of my office roof. "God's angry," she had said. "That may not necessarily be the reason for the pounding in the dark sky," I thought to myself, "but she's right. With a glance at our world, I have no doubt He is indeed angry."

UPDATE:  At 7:51 AM we began to be pelted with hail. . . and the electricity went out at 7:54.

UPDATE:  Electricity in my neck of Murrieta was only out for a few minutes.  At 8:37 AM the television warned us of potential hail and flooding. . . after the bulk of the storm passed.  Granted, some of the areas receiving that broadcast were still in the path of the storm, and had not been hit, yet - like Perris, San Bernardino, and so forth..

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: