Monday, August 18, 2014

30 Years Marriage, High School Sweethearts, But It Wasn't Easy

By Douglas V. Gibbs

Today is the 30th Wedding Anniversary of my wife and I.  We met in high school, and married the summer after I graduated.  I immediately enlisted in the United States Navy, bypassing college opportunities that was piling up in my mailbox.

For twenty years we fought like cats and dogs.  We have nothing in common but our kids.  We separated, at one point, and I was sure it was over.  But love kept us together.

It almost sounds like a song.  Now, our children are grown up, and we have six grandchildren.

At about the twenty year mark of our marriage, things began to turn around.  My growth in the Lord threatened to enable me to leave her in my dust in the terms of growth.  I was in The Word, and she wasn't.  She had a choice, and she chose to welcome Jesus Christ into her life.

Immediately, our marriage became one that people long for.  Sure, we still have our moments, but now we are evenly yoked, and our marriage is completely in God's Hands.

What's the key to a long marriage?

God.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: