Thursday, July 24, 2014

Water Responsible in a Drought? Nah.

By Douglas V. Gibbs

The American West is experiencing, according to some, the worst drought in 500 years.

I don't need to start taking Navy showers because I already do. . . not because I am water conscious, or water responsible, but because I was in the Navy, and it kind of became something of a habit to take my showers like that.

I don't water my lawn real heavy, either.  In fact, when NPR came out to my house to interview me regarding the Murrieta Immigration Protests, the reporter said to me, "Wow, it looks like you are the only water conscious person in your neighborhood during this drought."

My lawn is dead, and is mostly dirt, and an occasional weed here and there we trim down when they get long because there are too many to pull, and my back would never allow me to do such a thing, anyway.

I responded to her, "I am not water responsible.  I'm broke.  We could no longer afford to water the lawn."

My pool is empty, as well.  Not so save water, but it just became too expensive to maintain.

I am not saying I would not be water conscious if I could afford to use a lot of water.  I just found it funny that when a liberal reporter saw my lawn, her first thought was the drought, and being environmentally responsible.

That said, conservatives are just as concerned about environmental issues as liberals.  We just don't believe the federal government should be dictating to us how to handle these issues, or that hysteria should be used regarding environmental issues in order to push a political agenda, as we see with the Democrats time and time again.

In fact, if you look at the world, the governments that could be called the most free in the sense of the level of liberty the citizens experience, the most environmentally conscious nations of the world are the ones that are also the freest.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

US West Faces Worst Drought in 500 Years - NewsMax

Want people to live more prosperous, enriching, environmentally friendly lives? Then you must be for free markets - Against Crony Capitalism

No comments: